Barriers to Care for LGBTQ Communities: Opportunities for Change
Time: 2:00-3:30 PM ET
Overview: LGBTQ communities experience health care differently, and may face intentional and unintentional discrimination from providers and health care systems alike. Learn about historical and ongoing barriers to care, and the impact these barriers cause to the LGBTQ patient, including access to care, delivery, and coverage. The speakers will review common definitions, historical origins of LGBTQ discrimination, and conversion therapy ramifications. They will also discuss the effect of Section 1557 of the ACA, the Franciscan Alliance decision, and its progeny on the LGBTQ community's access to vital health care services.Speaker Information:
- Gregory Fosheim, Associate, McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Aldy Duffield, Sr. Manager, Healthcare, Apple Inc.
- Omar Gonzalez-Pagan, Senior Attorney and Healthcare Strategist, Lambda Legal
- Abbi Coursolle, Senior Staff Attorney, National Health Law Project
- Dr. Kameryn Lee, Vice President of Medical Affairs and Health Equity, FOLX Health,